Red Thread Family

Red Thread Family

Sunday, August 10, 2014

MOMMY MONSTER

I bet you never thought I had multiple personalities. I don't. Only two, apparently. I turned on cartoons for Kai at 9:15pm tonight and told him that I would turn it off at 9:55pm so we could do exercises before bed. I did exactly what I said I was going to do and he was a stinker during exercises. I was beginning to lose my patience and get angry. Kai asked to sleep out on the couch and I asked him why I would say yes when he was being a stinker during the exercises and not making good choices. He stayed laying on the ground not moving and showing no effort of heading to bed when I sent him that way.

This wasn't working. I envisioned throwing out all electronics just to tick him off...envisioned....didn't actually DO! However, I needed to get creative in order to keep a particular kid regulated and myself as well. Thus was born, MOMMY MONSTER! I got down on my hands and knees and talked in a scary monster voice...for real, it was scary. I even scared myself for a second. I told Kai in my scary mommy monster voice, "I am mommy monster. I come out when you don't make good choices and I like to eat ipods. If I eat your ipod, you won't have it tomorrow," and I continued to go around on all fours playing this role. It was exactly what Kai needed. He played back like he was really scared but he had a smile on his face. It worked. He then told me he was sad because he was the only one sleeping back there. BINGO. He is scared to sleep in his room. The only other person home tonight is Big C and he sleeps upstairs. Mommy Monster went away. Back in Ma mode, I said, "Kai, are you scared to sleep in your room and that's why you want to sleep on the couch?" He said yes. I told him that if he would finish one more exercise the right way, I would let him sleep on the couch.

He is now on the couch a regulated kid and I have put Mommy Monster to bed.