Kai's first soccer game went great. He had a huge cheering section including both sets of grandparents, the Hansen family, 3 mom friends, 5 boys from Little C's soccer game, and a teacher friend at Highlands. We got beat pretty badly but I had prepped Kai for a loss by stressing how important having fun was no matter who wins. Toward the end of the game, Kai got head butted pretty good. He was in tears and coach helped him off the field. The first thing he said to Big C was, "I'm gonna break his legs!" He thought the guy did it on purpose. We explained to him that those things happen accidently when two people are going for the same ball. Next game is Monday.
Hubby K is taking all the kids except Little C to Boise this weekend for an air show with my parents and brothers. I am staying back to help my dear friend through her surgery. Everyone wanted to leave school early Friday morning except Kai. He said, "I no want to miss school. I like school!" After talking to him, we figured out that he thought he would lose points and get bad grades if he missed school. I encouraged him to talk to his teachers and see if it was okay for him to miss school. Yesterday morning, I sent them all an email explaining what he was going to be asking so it was clear. Kai came home from school with the idea that missing one day of school was okay.
In China, all Kai did was watch television. He tells me he was "the boss of the tv." Uh, not here, buddy. He used the television to learn. The problem is, the information he has learned isn't always accurate and true but to him, it has to be truth. Yesterday, I heard all about how China is superior to America and things he learned about America through Chinese tv that are so false. I try to explain that we can't believe everything we hear on tv but he doesn't hear it. I hear often this kind of stuff. Here's the deal...the WHY behind why it bugs me. I am a military brat. I grew up around the nation and even lived in Japan for six years. I know America. I love America. It bugs the crap out of me to hear him not appreciate the great land he now lives in. What I want to say is "Your government threw you away? And THEY are superior to America? Really?" but I can't say that. I need to be respectful of where he came from. But it's so hard.
Last night at prayer, he asked if he could watch a video on his ipod. I asked him how long and he said 10 minutes. I told him no because that's too long and it's bed time. This is the stuff that used to cause meltdowns. He grumbled and complained but eventually got down on his knees for prayer. Progress!