Red Thread Family

Red Thread Family

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

MONEY MONEY MONEY

For years we didn't do allowance. Hubby K didn't want the kids to think they got paid for their chores around the house. We would instead pay them for their grades...but only A's. They would get $5 per A on their report card and that would double per A if they had all A's. The kids would pay their tithing on it and then go blow it on something.

A couple of years ago, I realized our kids were not learning to budget and save. So, I approached Hubby K about my allowance thoughts and he agreed. We instituted $10 per week allowance per kid. $5 for spending per week, $1 for tithing, and $4 into savings. The kids were now in charge of spending their money on their activities like if they wanted a snack at Open Gym, etc. This has worked beautifully. They tithe on a consistent basis and get into the habit of doing so and they learn the value of saving and also are developing that as a habit.

Well.....this past month, I've been a little preoccupied and busy. I was 4 weeks behind in giving allowance...can you say OUCH! That quickly adds up. I was actually further behind because Kai has not received an allowance yet...please DO NOT point that out to my children. They were happy with the 4 weeks.

I gave each child $40 and they divided it up amongst their tithing and savings envelopes and wallets. I wish I had videoed Kai getting his money. He held it up and said, "Kai money?" I said, "Yes. Kai's money." He watched the boys get out their wallets and proceeded to run back to his room. In China, his two favorite older "brothers" gave him a wallet. He brought this same wallet out, counted his money in english, and put his spending money in his wallet. I explained to him how we divide it up. He was so happy to have his very own money. It almost made me cry...almost.



Today at the store, Kai spent a good amount of time looking at Pokeman and Uh-Gi-Oh cards. He wanted to buy something. He would go back and forth, look at price tags, go back to something else, and then....he just plain walked away. He couldn't do it. He couldn't spend his money. I was actually really happy to see him take such care with how spends it. 

Right now he is on the phone with his best friend from his orphanage who was adopted shortly after Kai was and now lives in Oklahoma. He said, "Ma?" and handed me the phone. I proceeded to try to talk to Levi on the phone. After I handed the phone back to Kai, I could tell he was trying to explain to Levi what I was saying. 

Kai's english is really coming along. Everyday I hear something new come out of his mouth. Last night at prayer, Macy was asked to give it. Before she starts, Kai says, "Dear Heavenly Father" and we all started laughing. At the end of her prayer, Macy paused before the amen and Kai said it for her. I so look forward to the day when Kai knows his Father in Heaven and does speak to him through prayer.