Red Thread Family

Red Thread Family

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

NEW BEHAVIOR: "HAND"ICAP

Last night, Kia, Little C, Little M, and Big C were playing foosball. I heard an angry outburst from Kai in the middle of the game because he was losing. I told him not to do that and that the game was only for fun. It appeared he has a competitive nature....just like his Ma. 

A short time later, he gets mad again, leaves the game, sits on the couch and does his comatose thing. He doesn't move, doesn't register anyone around him, and he sobs. No silent tears here. He is sobbing. I don't ignore him this time. I go sit next to him and comfort him again like the day before. I again have to wipe his tears and his nose. I rub his chest and tell him it's ok. I tell him foosball is for fun. A few minutes later, I ask if he is ok. He hears me and shakes his head no. I sit with him some more. He seems better and I have some place to be. I explain to Kai that I would be back shortly and that dad would be home soon.

As I turn around to tell him goodbye, I see him holding his palsied hand with his healthy hand and he is shaking it like a ragdoll....like he is angry at it. This is new. I go sit back down with him and he once again begins to cry. More tears and more hugs from Ma. This time he does assist me in wiping his nose. He's coming out of his funk and I am thankful.

I leave and keep my phone close by in case something else happens. A short time later, Little M calls and I can tell she is fighting tears. "Mom?" she says, "We know why Kai is upset." "Why?" I asked. She then explains that Kai pointing to his bad hand and then pointed to Little C's two hands. He was upset and frustrated and felt it wasn't fair that he only has one working hand. BROKE MY HEART. No wonder Little M was upset. It broke hers, too. 

My three other kids took Kai into the kitchen and they made noodles. Kai even made noodles for Dad for when he came home. He adds dear meat, celery, and tomatoes to his noodles. It was now after 7 so they sat upstairs and played on their ipods. 

Dad came home shortly after, ate noodles he really didn't want to eat, and got the kids playing uno. Kai was okay the rest of the night. It probably felt good to him to finally be able to voice a frustration.

Our son feels "Hand" icap. It's my job to make that feeling go away.