Red Thread Family

Red Thread Family

Sunday, March 2, 2014

CAR ACCIDENT & 6 MONTH ANNIVERSARY

Wow! 18000+ views on my blog. That just astounds me. I am thankful for so the support of so many family members and friends. It truly humbles me.

There is so much to post tonight. First of all, today marks 6 months to the day that we met Kai. I explained that to him today but wish I could be inside his mind hearing what he thinks about that. I look at how far he has come in such a short period of time, how well he is speaking english, and the hard things he has had to face and open up to us.

This weekend, I went to my brother BS's house (those are really his initials...and yes, often times he is full of BS...I love him dearly) for his son's baptism. I could only take Kai and Little M because the other boys had sport commitments and Hubby K had a shift he had to work. Mom and Dad and Aunt J came with us in our car.

On the way, Kai had a small meltdown. It ended in tears but he quickly snapped out of it and told Little M he was sorry. However, later that evening, he was once again on the verge. There were several members of my sister-in-law's family he did not know staying at the house with us as well. I used the techniques I was taught in therapy and crisis was averted but I kept hearing the same complaining over and over again over the exact same thing.

Food was an issue this weekend. We didn't have any of Kai's "usuals" and it through him off. It caused contention and I gave him options. You can either have this...or you can not eat and be hungry. He chose the food but let me know over and over that he wasn't happy about it.

The first evening there, someone knocks the door. Wendy opens it and in walks my daughter, Big M, from college surprising me. I was trying to hold it together and not cry. I was so happy to see her. Last I heard, she wasn't able to find a ride. My SIL's sister lives by Big M's college and brought her with them.

Saturday was a really beautiful baptismal service for my nephew. It was Kai's first time experiencing it. He did NOT appreciate having to go to church on a Saturday and heard all about that...often. He was really trying to push my buttons. Afterward, we went to another church building where we had catered Hawaiian food that was simply amazing!! Visiting with family and friends was a great bonus to the food!

Saturday evening, we left the kids at home and just us adults headed to a bakery to get dessert. I had my van full with my parents, my aunt, my college daughter, and my brother and SIL. As I am pulling out of the driveway, I look in my rearview mirror and think to myself, "Leslie, keep everyone safe. Alot of families would be affected if we got in an accident. I SERIOUSLY had this thought.

5 minutes away from our destination, traffic comes to a fast stop. I am behind my brother's truck and I slam on my brakes with enough time to stop. Just as I come to a stop, the car behind me slams into me. I pull over to the side of the road and get out to see what happened. The car behind me was rearended which caused a chain reaction and caused him to slam into my car. His car was crunched. His trunk was completely smashed in, his rear window completely shattered. Inside with the driver was an 8 month pregnant gal. This young couple who are pregnant with their first were just coming home from their baby shower. I went back to our car and grabbed my BIL who is a physician. He came over and talked to the gal and keep her calm.

The young man in the truck that started it all had just won state in wrestling and was on his way to the team dinner to celebrate. He felt horrible. We called the police and quickly came and told us this was the 5th wreck on this stretch of road that evening. WHILE we are pulled over, another accident (a fender bender) occurs in the opposite lane.

The pregnant gal and my mother are both taken by ambulance to the hospital but different hospitals. My mother had back surgery 1 year ago and was feeling neck, back, and chest pain. We met her over at the hospital and waited while she had x-rays. It was all muscular and she was released. We are all sore today. My neck, back, and shoulders (because of gripping the wheel) are sore today but all is good. Mom is the most sore but she is doing good, too.

The people in the ER told us we were the 7th ambulance to come in from accidents occurring that evening on that particular road. We are going to avoid that road like the plague when we visit. Apparently, it's the number one road for accidents in that state.

On the way home today, a semi kicked up something off the road. It hit my car hood and left a nice dent and scratch. We sure got beat up this weekend!

 Cousin A and Kai drew Little M on the chalkboard wall in A's room.

 Playing a quick game of Catan. I didn't win...this time!

 Me and my beautiful daughters!

 Siblings! 

 Saying goodbye!

This goodbye was easier. We go pick her up in 5 weeks and bring her home until she goes on her mission.