Red Thread Family

Red Thread Family

Thursday, March 27, 2014

FAILURE

Sometimes we have to experience failure to learn a principle or to appreciate success. This is what drove me to make a new morning game plan. Our mornings have been awful. Full of contention and frustration with Kai pushing my buttons back. As stated in the previous post, I switched things up.

Yesterday, I told Kai that he was a big boy so I was not going to help him be ready on time anymore. I told him I would wake him up, make his breakfast and lunch, but it was up to him to do the rest which includes his morning exercises. I switched that up, too. Instead of doing the PT exercises, I am having him do OT exercises. We'll do PT at night together. I bought him some toddler toys like the stacking ring, a pattern sorter, and big beads you put on a rope. These are all things that are good for him to use with his "weak" hand. I put them in a basket in the family room and he got a good 10 minutes in this morning. 

I really didn't think he was going to make it. I gave all the kids a 10 minute warning and a 2 minute warning. Kai came out with everything in hand at the last minute so I quickly helped him with his leg brace and shoe and we were out the door on time with no fuss. It was pure heaven. He went to school happy and I came home from the bus stop happy.

I was prepared for him to fail. I was prepared for the tears when he couldn't ride the bus. I was prepared for him to learn from this...and then it didn't happen. Maybe he had something to prove to himself and feeling like he had a little more control over himself. Maybe the threat of missing the bus was enough. I'm sure the day will come when he isn't ready, and I will be prepared to drive him to school.