Red Thread Family

Red Thread Family

Sunday, May 11, 2014

PROM/MOTHERS DAY

Big weekend! It was prom weekend and we had a formal dinner for Big C and his friends. We brought in Olive Garden and had our own restaurant called The Sundown Olive Garden. The boys were so handsome and the girls looked absolutely gorgeous.









I did not prep Kai very well at all for prom evening. He was highly uncomfortable while the formal dinner was going on. Big C and his girlfiend wanted a picture with Kai and he downright panicked about it. It was strange. After the kids left, I found him in his room and told him they were all gone. He told me he didn't like people here. I think it was the kids all fancied up and he had never seen that before...plus I didn't prep him for it. 

Earlier in the day, I had attended a funeral of an amazing woman from my old ward. She was 78 years old and one of the most talented women I had ever met. I NEVER saw her NOT wearing a skirt and panty hose. She was always decked out to the nines. She had a very touching funeral that she herself planned. 

On the way home, I was on a busy 4 lane road when a woman in the middle of the road stopped traffic on our two lanes of traffic. There were about 10 little baby ducklings that were trying to follow their mama up the curb but the were two small to get up on their own. The mama duckling was in distress on the hillside waiting for her ducklings. The other two lanes of traffic also came to a strand still. I got out of my car as did another woman and we are doing our best to keep these little babies out of the harms way. We ended up literally scooping up each baby and getting them over the curb. They all lined up behind mama and walked up the hillside as if there was no danger at all.

The first lady who stopped said, "We sure gave that mama duck a Happy Mother's Day."  I got in my car, put it in drive, started driving, and then cried. Yes, I cried. I was so touched by, first, the funeral and what an incredible woman my friend was and then I was touched by this mama duck who wanted her babies safe. I am just like that mama duck. I want to keep my kids out of harms way and sometimes I need the help of others in this journey. I can't do everything alone.

I didn't use to love Mother's Day. When we were in medical school and residency, I actually dreaded it. Hubby K was gone most of those days and there was nothing special about it for me. I still had kids to clean and feed and it felt like any other Sunday. As my kids have gotten older and self sufficient, I have loved it. My favorite is the homemade cards. I love them! Little M's card said, "Mom, happy Mother's Day. Thanks for putting upwith my CRAP. Literally." I laughed and laughed and laughed. 



I was a little concerned on what Kai would think of this day. For kids in his same situation, it can be a day of loss and grief. A day that is a reminder of the mom that has been lost. Thankfully, that did not occur. He was happy and giggly when they brought me breakfast in bed this morning and seem unaffected throughout the day.

We took some pictures before heading to church.





After church, the men in the family got dinner together. I did nothing. We had the extended family over for a brisket feast. It was awesome!




This evening right before family prayer, we raced to see who could tie a shoe one handed the fastest. Ok, I fudged the times a little bit so Kai would win. I'm trying to boost his self esteem here, people! We then all did his exercises WITH him and it made it fun and I got absolutely no complaints from him.


What a fantastic day it has been. Kai and the other kiddos celebrated me well. I am going to bed with a perfectly clean kitchen....proof that my kids really CAN clean well. Many times I find myself wondering.

Happy Mother's Day. Are we not ALL mothers!?