Red Thread Family

Red Thread Family

Monday, May 19, 2014

SOCIAL LEARNING

I don't want to sound like a downer but I am really not looking forward to summer. I truly am dreading it. It's going to throw Kai for a loop. There is little structure and we are constantly doing different activities. The good news is that he will be in summer school for the first part of summer. This will provide him with routine and structure that he so desperately needs....but that's only for PART of the summer.

Today after school, he was being a stinker. He kept bugging everyone with a whistling noise. We put up with it for a while and then everyone (including Little C's friends) asked him to stop. He didn't. I told him it was annoying and hurting our ears. I told him he could do it in the front yard away from people if he wanted to make the noise. He didn't like that. I told him that I would take the straw he was making the noise with away if he took it around people. He then began being argumentative about everything. I ended up telling Kai that I would be happy to talk to him if he had happy things to talk about.

I ignored him as he talked about all the things he doesn't like and he even tried to tell me that Little C's friends who are over are mean to him. I happen to know THIS IS SO NOT TRUE and was not going to accept that. I told him I disagreed and why. I then asked him what the boys were saying that was mean. Kai's response, "I don't know."

This evolved into a different conversation. Tears started to flow and the truth came out, Kai was feeling left out. I can ignore negative talk but I can't ignore tears.  One of the boys saw Kai upset and asked if he wanted to come out a play soccer. Kai let me comfort him by hugging him, he got his tears under control, and he went outside with the boys. He wasn't ever being excluded. He just needs to learn how social situations work. They were playing soccer and he didn't want to play WITH them because it was soccer. He has so much learning to do in social situations.

After we grilled and ate hamburgers, the boys invited Kai to go with them to gas station to drinks and snacks. He is all smiles once again...give him a soda and hot Cheetos (healthy, I know) and he is a happy young man.

I tucked him into bed. We were in a hug as he repeated the words to his personal prayer that I modeled for him. We went through our routine tuck in, I said I LOVE YOU and this time he said I LOVE YOU. GOOD NIGHT, MA.