After our hiccup Saturday night, I am happy to announce we had a great rest of the weekend. Between conference sessions, we took the dogs down to the river to run. We are trying really hard to get Kai more active and will use any excuse to do it. It was the dogs' turn to be the excuse!
Big C learned a very important lesson. He was concerned when Kai stepped up on a rock in the below picture. You see, Kai doesn't have the greatest balance since one foot is shorter than the other and he limps. He doesn't let this stop him from trying things included following his siblings onto boulders. Christian didn't want Kai to do it out of fear that his brother would fall in. I told Christian we have to let him try things.
A minute or two after saying that, Kai took a spill. He fell off the rock getting his shoe soaked, clothes somewhat wet, and his head wet. He kind of endowed forward getting his face in the water. It was not a graceful fall but it wasn't horrible, either. He didn't get hurt, it just scared him. He was a bit shaken as you can see in the below picture. He wasn't too happy til he was doted on a little. Big C said, "See, Mom? I told you so!" I told Big C that Kai is only going to learn by doing, by exploring, by trying new thigns. I told him that lessons he learned at 4 and 5 by DOING, Kai was only NOW getting to experience those things. I told him it isn't fair to not let him try new things because we are afraid he is going to fall down.
While we were feeding the ducks, my cute 19 year old cousin and her boyfriend drove by and stopped to say hi. We had them join us feeding the ducks!
Throwing rocks is a new favorite things for Kai.
While they were throwing rocks, I sat down to the watch squirrels. A man walks by and says, "Well, aren't you special that they had to put cones around you." I smiled and said, " Or dangerous!" He laughed and went on his way.
Me and my honey!
I am also happy to report that Kai went to school today just fine knowing he had math and lunch at school today. We have been working on his locker combo this weekend and today was time to try it out again on the real thing. I took him inside and he did the combo with little assistance and got the locker open. I had him put his bookbag in the locker but carry his lunch and his binder. He wanted to put his lunch in the locker and get it out later but I told him to take it. Secretly, I was afraid he would be unable to open his locker and get his lunch out on his own. I knew that if he came out of school without his backpack, he was unable to get his locker open himself.
After school, he came out with a big grin on his face. He had a good day and I was so relieved. He did NOT have his backpack. I am so thankful I had the fore sight to see the locker as a problem. I did not want his first day with 4 classes and lunch to be stressful. We will try his locker again tomorrow. By the end of the week, I am confident he'll be able to get it open on his own.