With my challenge to keep Kai more active, I gave him a choice when we got home from school to either play his ipod for a little while or play the Wii. He chose his ipod. I set the timer and when the time was up, he grudgingly gave it up just like any typical thirteen year old.
I told him he needed to do something like draw, read a book, or play outside. On his own, he went out into the garage, grabbed a golf club and ball, and started swinging. Kai is a lefty and these were right hand clubs. It was very difficult for him to get his right hand to cooperate holding the club. It was even difficult for me to help him get his fingers in the right position. He tried using the club right handed but ended up using it backwards on his left. This kept his attention for about 20 minutes...ok, only two more hours to go until the kids get home to keep him OFF the electronics.
After playing outside and running the dogs, we went inside to read. I have been sitting down with him everyday reading BOB books found at your local Costco. We have been ready 2 books over and over again. Kai can now recognize the words Sam, Mat, a, and dog. Recognize...memorize...whatever.
He is still not getting down the sounds that letters make. I have been picking something to work with him everyweek. Last week it was the calender and he has it down. I forgot to mention that on Sunday, he came out for breakfast in his church clothes ALL ON HIS OWN. We were all still in our pj's and church isn't til 1pm. He knew it was Sunday and he knew church was on a Sunday. That was awesome.
This week, I am going to work with him on getting 5 letter sounds down. My goal is 5 mastered per week. In a month, he'll have the alphabet down and maybe the BOB books will make more sense to him.
I often find myself worried about how far he is behind in math but english is the more important subject at the moment. Patience, Leslie, patience.
Yesterday afternoon, our neighbor S, came over to play with Little M. She wasn't hear but I asked if he wanted to come in and meet Kai. He came in and introduced them then tried to get Kai to go outside and play with him. Guess what he said? You got it, NO. I then told Kai that he and S could play Wii. He said YES. I took a picture because it's the first time he has had a non relative friend to play with just him. It made me happy.
During big brother's soccer practice, Kai and I headed to TJ Maxx to get him some long sleeve shirts. This kid knows what he likes and doesn't hesitate to tell you no when he doesn't like something. We quickly found 4 shirts that he liked and he was a happy guy! He likes button downs....I have never had a son who like button downs! Loving it...he wore a dapper brown plaid button down to school today.
As far as the neighborhood Harvest Festival, I failed to take pictures. I got to jabbering and Kai wasn't in the best of moods anyways. He burned his finger on soup early on and he doesn't deal with any sort of ouch very well. That kind of ruined him having fun. I kissed his finger and he looked at me like I was nuts. THAT was hilarious. I'll do it again just to get the reaction. Hilarious.
_crop.jpg)