It is HOT!!!! The cement guys showed up today to put start putting in the forms for the deck. It looks like our 100+ days will come to end starting Friday. Sounds like they will pour the first part of next week. I was hoping for Friday. Tomorrow is supposed to be a whopping 108. HOT!
Yesterday, Kai asked if we could go swimming because it was so hot. I called Grandma D and asked if we could use her neighborhood pool. We were spending the evening with them anyways since Uncle S was visiting. This is a NEIGHBORHOOD pool which made me a little nervous. Last week, Kai wouldn't even get OUT of the van at a different neighborhood pool.
We planned on swimming about 3:30pm. Before that, we were doing Kai's reading and he finished lesson 55 out of 100 which meant he earned a new Skylander. I explained that we would do it after Grandma and Grandpa's which he wasn't happy about. I knew if I didn't take him before, the rest of the day and our visit would not go well. We quickly got ready and headed to Target by Grandma's house.
They did NOT have the giant he was looking for. This was a different Target than our usual one and it turned into a blame game. "This Target is bad....Ma, you took me to wrong target....blah blah blah." I admit, I want to smack him....but I don't. I tell him we can go to the OTHER Target after Grandma and Grandpa's and he is getting disregulated in the store. I'm praying we don't have a meltdown in the middle of the store....then I get an idea. I tell Kai that Wal-mart is across the street. I tell him we will try there but if they don't have it, he can't get mad or sad and we will go to the other Target later after dinner.
Walmart, thankfully, saves the day and we walk out with a happy kid. I have never liked Walmart more than I did at that moment. Now I focus my attention on our next hurdle...the pool. We go pick up Grandma from her house and head to the pool. Kai sees that it's a neighborhood pool and there are other kids. He groans but does get out of the car.
He is grumpy and says he is not swimming. I tell him that is okay and get my hot butt (as in temperature) in the pool. He is stewing in his chair and I ignore him. He grabs goggles that he won't be using and battle begins between him and Big C over the goggles. Big C wants to use them and Kai is being unreasonable. Little M becomes the peace keeper by giving Big C HER goggles. I tell Kai he isn't being very nice. If he isn't going to swim, he could be kind and let his brother use them. Again, Mr. Grumpy Butt.
After a while, probably from processing, he tries to give Big C the goggles and Big C refuses to accept them..."out of principal." I am going to be making my bio kids an appointment to see our counselor soon so she can explain why we have to "give in" to some of Kai's wants and behaviors. I feel like he makes situations worse by how he reacts. It certainly doesn't help me.
After about 20 minutes, Kai comes to the side of the pool and dips his feet in....then he dips his head in. Within 5 minutes, he is changed into his suit and jumps into the water. HUGE PROGRESS!!!! I guess 100+ degree weather is good for something. He had a great time in the water and we made a big deal about telling him how brave he was for getting into the pool with other people he didn't know.
Today, working and earning money came up again. Now that school is almost over, he wants to go to work with Big M and help her babysit so he can earn money. Uhhhh, no. Not going to happen. I told him she needs all the money she can get to save for college. He asked if I had any jobs and I told him I always have weeding he can do. He hates that job but I told him it's the only one I have. We'll see if wants to earn money bad enough. Why? More Skylanders. Apparently, 20 isn't enough. Not to be negative but I HATE SKYLANDERS!
I had an odd moment today. I was looking at our family picture we had taken at Kai's baptism and I felt like someone was missing. II counted everyone up and we were all there. Crap.
My summer patience is becoming thin. I'm getting tired of his blunt rudeness. For example, Mema sent me with a piece of zucchini bread for him to try. I gave it to him and he just repeated says, I no like it! without even trying it. I told him he could say NO THANK YOU instead of repeating saying he doesn't like it. I'm getting tired of his comments that sound so rude and inconsiderate. I know it's lack of socialization but the need to constantly teach is tiring. I'm getting grumpy. The pool is going to save my bacon as he wants to swim everyday. Cannot wait!!
We are working really hard at reading. We completed lesson 56 today and are halfway through the first collection of Bob books. I got him a Leap Reader pen today. Hope he likes it.
Title of this post is Grumpy Pants...apparently, who wears them depends on the moment because I am certainly the wearer at the moment.