I just tucked Kai into bed. Somehow we got into a discussion about "not real daddies." I cannot even remember how it started. Oh, yes I do. He was asking about Ken's "real" brother. Kai has a very distinct term for real. If you were not carried in your mom's tummy, you are not "real." I explained to him that his grandma and grandpa each had their own children with other people before marrying each other and explained about "step" families.
I told him about my father. I explained that just because someone is a "real" parent, it doesn't make them a better parent than a "step" parent or "not real" parent. I really wanted to sink into his heart that good daddy's can be anyone who treats children as a daddy should. I told him how my grandma was married to another man with 4 children when she divorced him because he wasn't a very nice man. She met a man later who then married her and adopted my dad and his 3 siblings. I drove the point home that even though the grandfather that I knew was my daddy's adopted dad, he was a better daddy then his "real" dad who he never saw. This is the FIRST TIME he has accepted this. In the past, "real" daddy's have always trumped.
I drove the point home further by telling him "Kai, in my heart you are my REAL son." I have said this many times before and he always says NO! Tonight he didn't say no....he said, "Oh."
Today was very emotional as it was confirmation day for Kai after being baptized last Thursday. It was done in front of our congregation AFTER a powerful opening hymn which was our National Anthem. That alone had me in tears to start with! I played the organ and my girlfriend was on the piano. It was awesome to be a part of.
My heart is so full today. I truly feel blessed. I said goodbye to Big C and Little C today. Big C is away at EFY until next Saturday and Little C is on his way to Provo, Utah to attend a BYU soccer camp til next Friday. It's going to be just Kai and the girls for the week.