For some unknown reason other than "I like it," Kai has been setting his alarm for 6am and GETTING UP! Yesterday, he was showered and dressed for church and then fell back to sleep on the sofa in his church clothes. He refused to change after church and stayed in his church clothes til bedtime at 10pm. Remember, this was a kid who would have a meltdown at times when asked to get dressed up.
This morning, his alarm went off at six and he was up watching cartoons. Tonight when I tuck him in, I am secretly turning off his alarm. I HEAR him at 6. I want to sleep!
The guys showed up to work on the tile of our pool today. Hoorayyy!! Kai and I were watching from the window and I told him to look at the blue tile....it's obviously blue. He says, "Nooooo. Not blue." Are you kidding me? It's obviously blue as was the tile guys truck. I say, "Look at the pink truck, Kai. That man drives a PINK TRUCK!" He laughs and says, "Nooooo! It's blue." "No it's not," I say, "it's the same color of the tile and it's not blue!" He shut up.
I was in and out today so I know he spent a lot of the day on electronics. At 2pm, I told him it was time for a break. He grumpily refused to do anything I suggested and just sat on the couch. Fine by me. At one point, I grabbed his reading lesson book and went and sat by him. For every letter, he just kept repeating the P sound. I want to ring his neck. Getting mad certainly doesn't help nor does threatening to revoke privileges. I took a different tactic. I told Kai that from now on, when he asked me a question I was going to just say "p." A minute later he asked me a question and turned to him and exaggeratedly made the P sound. He asked again and I repeated it with a smile. He started laughing and we continued the charade.
He had enough and we sat down and did his reading lesson. It was a major test of my patience and it was hard for me to act playful and silly when I really just want to ring his neck and be done already. However, the tactics used today worked and he remained a regulated and happy kid.