We have heard from a few people that we should each get a foot massage. Tonight, we were heading down the elevator to just grab a quick ice cream. We met a man in the elevator who lives in Miami but comes to China for two weeks every six weeks. He told us about a place on Shamian Island that gives incredible 90 minute foot massages for $20.
We had a free evening so we walked to the island not really knowing what to expect especially with a large group and no appointment.
We found it easily and walked in with all our kiddos. I asked many they could do at once and the lady told me 16. Holy cow! We happily walked up the stairs and into the large room that was empty until we walked through the door.
Before
Before
Warm lemon water and watermelon as a refreshment.
In walked 7 people with 7 wood buckets filled with Chinese medicine water. It smelled like the herb markets we walk through the get to the island. While our feet were soaking for 30 minutes in this black water, we each received a neck, back, arm, and hand massage. I had the largest gentleman of them all and his touch was FIRM! I carry all my stress in my neck and shoulders and it HURT but I felt so much better once he worked out my knots.
An amazing foot massage ensued including really hot towel wraps. Caden was next to me and actually fell asleep. Again, parts of the massage hurt but I sure felt amazing afterward.
After the massage, the final step was this wood box. Rocks were heated and placed in this box. We place our feet on the box over the holes and smoke rises out of the box to heat your feet. This was crazy! At times, it was too hot on the arch of my foot. The 90 minutes felt like 30. We weren't sure the kids would want to do 90 minutes. Afterward, we heard, "Can we do this again tomorrow?"
I wish I could be inside Kai's brain to know what he thought of this. We weren't sure if he would go along with it. He has one foot shorter than the other and we weren't sure how he would like someone rubbing it and rubbing his palsied hand. I'm not sure what he thought about it but he went along with it all and was laughing with us during when we were being silly.
We are thrilled we took the advice of some friends and this man in the elevator. It was an experience our children will not forget about their trip in China.