We discovered today that Kai, cars, and books are NOT a good combination. On the way to Little C's soccer game today, Kai threw up in the car....you might recall that this has happened once before. We stopped at a gas station to clean up with K gagging and Big C in the backseat gagging. Fun times! We told Kai he couldn't play ipod or read his books in the car anymore.
The rest of the day was eventful and went fun and then things started heating up this evening. Kai and I had a showdown. I have been asking the men in my family for the last several days to teach Kai how to lift the seat when he goes to the bathroom. Apparently, this wasn't happening as I was, once again, cloroxing a toilet seat. I went in the living room and asked Kai to come with me so I could show him something. He told me NO. And continued to tell me NO and be defiant. He knew exactly what he was doing. We had a showdown and I won. This was an important showdown in order to set the proper boundaries.
I then proceeded to teach Kai how to properly pee in a toilet as a boy. Go ahead and laugh because the visual is funny. He didn't seem embarressed and I certainly wasn't. He understood. I then got my phone and typed into the translator PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME NO. He did NOT like that and gave me a face and then went to his room and shut the door.
After several minutes, I knocked on his bedroom door and found him laying on his bed reading a book. I asked him if he was ok. He looked at me then turned his back to me. I walked around the bed, knelt down so we were face to face and said, "Are you ok? Answer me yes or no." He looked at me and said YES. I said, "Good!" and walked out of the room. He ended up coming out a short time later and spent the rest of the evening out with us. He was still ticked at me for a while but by the end of the evening he was fine.
This is probably just the first of many boundaries that are going to be tested. I know I need to pick my battles and I will and do. But I need to be careful to set the proper boundaries so he knows what his role and mine are in this family. It's tricky and frustrating. I don't want to do this wrong.