Red Thread Family

Red Thread Family

Friday, September 20, 2013

BIG FIRST!!

Today has been another emotional day for many reasons which I will go into. First, though, I have to tell you a new major first....TODAY IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN KAI USE HIS RIGHT HAND!!! This is huge! We stopped in at Wal-Mart to grab a few things on the way home from lunch and Kai grabbed a cart in the parking lot (he REALLY likes pushing the cart and I LIKE him pushing the cart because he grips with both hands). Here's where the cool part comes in. As we are walking in, I see him remove his left hand which is his "good" hand and concentrate as he pushes ONLY with his right hand. I could SEE the wheels moving in his brain as he consciously uses the hand I have never seen him use. He has used the arm but never the hand. Now picture me walking into Wal-Mart with tears in my eyes and you get an accurate visual.

This morning, we took a trip to the middle school where Kai begins the ESL program on Monday. We met with the principal and he gave us a very  mini tour of the school which I cut even mini-er as I felt it was too overwhelming for Kai. When we got to his ESL classroom, he DID NOT want to go in. I put my arm around him and reassured him that all would be ok and I would not leave him. He seemed to understand this but it was probably my tone that made him understand. We walked in and it was like a sanctuary. The class was small with about 10 kids who were Hispanic, Arabic, and Sudanese. They were full of smiles, warmth, and the teacher was amazing. I hope Kai felt this through his nerves. We only spent a few minutes in there before heading home so K could go to bed as he is working nights.

Do you believe in Angels? I certainly do and I met one today. Thanks to another angel, T.G., I heard about an Elder missionary here who is from Hong Kong but goes home next week. I called him up and I took him and his companion out to lunch today at a Chinese restaurant. My mission was two fold....first, to help Kai understand he was in a class at school with only other kids learning english and only for the morning, and, second, to understand what church and prayer are.

Elder N. first talked to Kai about school. He explained what I asked him to and Kai was much relieved to know he was in a class where the others kids were learning english as well. He then said something that I have known but it still broke my heart to hear. He said, "I fear nothing-except strangers." Someday, in his own words, I hope he can convey to me the things he suffered in order for this to be his fear and , someday. conquer it.

I know the school situation is the right thing to do. I feel it. But, I had a stomach ache over it on behalf of my son, this morning. I changed schools ALOT, including 4 different high schools. I was terrified every time and it was in my native tongue! I can only begin to feel his fear.  This afternoon, I feel a sense of calm and peace over it. Kai will start on Monday. It's going to be hard but he's going to be able to do it.

The second issue was church. I wanted him to understand what it is we do on Sundays and a small explanation of why. Kai understood a little about Buddhism and Christianity. Very little but some which was beneficial. The Elder explained these things very basically and also about what we wear to church (this is due to him not wanting to try on his dress shirt and shoes this week...lol) so he isn't wondering why I'm dressing him up on Sunday.

On the way home, we drove by the temple and I pulled over and got my translator out. I simply said, "This is my temple. I feel happy here." Kai understood. We pulled into the parking lot and just looked for a minute. I wanted to tell him, "This is where I knew you were my son!!" Someday, I will. It's just not the time yet.