Red Thread Family

Red Thread Family

Saturday, December 21, 2013

13000 VIEWS AND HAND LIMITS

Holy moly! I have over 13000 views on the blog. That is just astounding to me that we are that interesting...lol.

Today, I attended one of the most beautiful funerals I have ever attended. It was for a young 25 year old man whose family is in our ward. His mother gave a beautiful life sketch and I just sat their amazed at her strength and poise. Then, his sister who is one of my laurels, played a beautiful piano solo in his honor. He loved music. Lastly, an old bishop of this young man spoke and it was the most eloquent talk on how we view life and death in the LDS church. A wonderful young man from a great family and he will be missed by many but we all know his family will see him again.

This evening, Little C and his friend JE were going to go to open gym which is free time at a local gymnastics place. It's a huge hit for kids of all ages here. Little C asked Kai to go and Kai said, "No, one hand," and held up his hand. The boys asked him again about 30 minutes later and he gave the same response. I told Kai it was ok to go with one hand. He looked at me like I was crazy but he listened. The boys asked a third time if Kai wanted to go and this time he said, "Yes!"

This is a huge step for Kai. I anticipated us getting to the gym and Kai seeing all the kids and changing his mind. That's exactly what happened but I was proud of him for having tried. That is certainly progress. So, he won a date with me at Wal-mart.

At Wal-mart, Kai wanted to buy Macy another present. I think he felt bad from being a stinker about her present to him. He bought her a 12 pack of orange soda with his own money. I thought that was very sweet.

On the way home, I told him that someday he would get to drive a car. He said, "Kai drive no good. Big M CJ good drive. Kai no good."

I turned on the cab light as I was driving, put one arm behind my back and drove the rest of the way home with one hand while he observed. I even did a donut for him to see I could do it all with one hand. He was amazed. I could tell he was entertaining in his head on the way home the idea of him actually driving a car in his future. The thought had NEVER occurred to him that he could do that. I honestly don't know how that will all work with his foot and hand but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. The point is, I want him to stop looking at his hand as a limitation. There are so many things he can still experience.

Family starts arriving tomorrow. Let the celebrations begin!!