Red Thread Family

Red Thread Family

Sunday, December 1, 2013

NO NOODLES

This morning as everyone was preparing to leave, Kai was walking around saying "Bye bye" to everyone prematurely with a smile on his face. I don't think anyone took it personally. It was actually pretty funny. I know he enjoyed spending time with his new family...it's just a bit overwhelming for him.

I was really hoping for a quiet day home but that certainly did not happen. I asked Kai to get ready for church and he came out with his shirt on but could not find his pants. We searched high and low and never found them. I pulled out a pair of grey pants he has for school and told him to put those on. OH HE DID...over a pair of shorts that were way to bulky for his pants. I told him he needed to take the shorts of. He moped back to his room but did as I asked. 

I thought I was free of any prechurch drama. I was wrong. After getting mostly dressed but without socks and shoes and 5 minutes to leave for church, Kai asks for noodles. We had a later big breakfast so I knew he wasn't starving. I told him there was no time to cook and offered him a sandwich he could take in the car, an apple, beef jerky, and yogurt. He refused them all and said noodles. We went over and over about it. Sorry, dude. No noodles.  Again, I offered him other non cook options that were quick. He stood in the kitchen and cried. I'm talking tears flowing down his cheeks. This just made me dig my heels in. After the round and round him and I have had this week, I was not giving in. I have been accused of being stubborn. 

I ignored Kai. I was prepared to take him to church with no food. I had given him options and if he chose not to eat, then he wouldn't eat. I told him and the other kids to get in the car. He looks at me and says very softly and without hardly moving his lips what I think is SANDWICH. I asked him to say it again but clearer. I said, "You want a sandwich?" His reply was again hard to decipher. I asked him to say it again clearer. He said, "Yes."

I quickly made him a sandwich, wrapped it in a paper towel, and sent him to the car. He was fine. He was instantly happy and ready to go. So many highs and lows that I think I'm getting whiplash!

While at church, a friend casually asked how I was doing. I said, "Well, I'm here." Once that came out of my mouth, I didn't like how it sounded...so sorry, friend, if you are reading this. I did not repeat that sentence when asked again. I am blessed. I am thankful.

After church while we are driving home, I tell Kai, "Tomorrow is school." He cheers and says, "Yeah, all day school!" The other kids weren't as enthusiastic. I am cheering, too. 

We spent this evening turning our Thanksgiving tree into a Christmas tree and hanging our stockings. 
 For many many years, probably 40, my Aunt J has made these beautiful felt and sequin stockings. She made sure she had Kai's done in time and we presented it to him along with ours. He was quite surprised and it made him feel really good. 

 Hanging his stocking up with the others above our fireplace. 

 Hanging our ornaments on the tree.



 Mr. Grumpy Butt 15 year old who had better things to do with his time.
 Every year, I get my kids a new ornament to represent something from that year. When they are grown with a home of their own, they will get to have their ornaments...except my boys if their wives don't appreciate them...lol. This year, our ornaments were made by a little elderly man on a street in Guangzhou, China. We passed him and he had art he had made out of wire laid out on a blanket for sale. We bought him out of his little people and he was so appreciative. 

I usually get all my decorating done in one evening. Today, however, it was just the tree. There's always Monday....man, do I like the sound of that. Who knew Monday could sound so beautiful.