Last night, after I had already blogged, I was working on finishing up my dad's Christmas present which is a photobook of our family reunion. Yes, he reads this but I am sure he is expecting the photobook so all is good. Kai came in to watch me work on the computer and saw what I was doing. He pointed to the book and said, "China book?" I knew he was referring to the book I made him introducing him to his new family. He then disappeared.
A short time later, he brings in the book that I made him. He opened up and sat with me as we went page by page through the book. He pointed everyone out and said their names which I found so cute. In the back of the book, I had left several blank pages for him to have his friends and caretakers write a note to him. We read over those notes together. The english speakers in the orphanage made sure to write a translation with each one. We laughed at some and I marveled at others.
An older brother told him not to eat too much and get fat. Several remarked about being good and not being very stubborn. I found that hilarious because he is stubborn. His grandpa figure in the orphanage wanted him to learn and grow in education and keep his body healthy. I am so thankful he has this book with the words of the people he knew in China.
One of my dear young women from church has had a tragedy in her family. Her brother passed away unexpectantly and his funeral is this coming weekend. I came across a quote which I would like to share and I made sure to send it to her as well. I immediately thought of her family but as I read the quote several times, I thought of Kai and his grief. The grief these kids go through is very much like grieving over a loved one passing.
Grief never ends...but it changes. It's a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith...It is the price of love. Author Unknown.
My dear young woman is grieving for her brother but she has the gospel of Jesus Christ, has faith, and knows it's only a matter of time before she is with her brother again. This knowledge is her passage. She loved her brother with all her heart and because of that love, it hurts that he is gone.
Kai grieving shows me that he, too, loved. He had attachments and people he considered family. He had a grandmother and grandfather figure who treated him like a grandson. His grieving also gives me the hope that he will grow to love us as his own one day.
This morning, I was looking at our stockings that are hung by the chimney with care. My aunt has been making these stockings since before I was born and made sure Kai had one for his first Christmas. I was admiring them today as I was warming myself by the fire and it struck me....I have five children. I knew this, of course, but with Madison away at college, we still have four at home. I have five children!
On the way home from church this evening (and Kai went just fine, after all, it's Sunday...and he knows church is on Sunday), Kai marveled over the sunset and asked me to take a picture. Here it is for our viewing pleasure.