My youngest daughter informed me this morning that she has no clothes to wear. I ask her what the heck she is talking about...she's got clothes! She proves to me that only one pair of pants are wearable, she needs bigger underwear, a new bra, a couple new tanks, and a new black shirt as she pokes her fingers through the hole in her shirt. I am surprised to find that she is correct...and then it hits me! We never went "Back to School" shopping with ANY of the kids. We were in China. So, I called Mom to see if Kai could come spend a couple of hours with her while I took Little M and cousin A to do some BACK TO SCHOOL shopping.
On the way to Mom's (it's only a 12ish minute drive), I asked Kai, "Kai, when you are a man, what do you want to do? Daddy is a doctor. What do you, Kai, want to be? Kai be doctor?" Kai looks and me and says, "No one hand doctor!" I told him he could be a doctor. So, then I start naming off all kinds of things....engineer, school teacher, math teacher, design houses, artist, etc. He didn't say yes to anything but I got his brain thinking. I am going to get this young man to stop limiting himself because of his darn hand! I told him that school is the most important thing. He asked me, "Kai, Big C, Little C, Little M to Big M school?" He's asking me if they all go to the same college as Big M. I told him he could go to any college.
I think I am going to have him watch the Soul Surfer movie sometime and the Youtube clip about this guy Ben who is a Nascar designer and has no hands at all.
This afternoon after getting home, Kai noticed the headphones Little C was using. He gets mad and says, "Kai's!" as he points the headphones. He may have used them but that didn't mean they were his. We have several of the same pair. I tell Kai he needs to calm down and show him other pairs of headphones that lay around the house but they are not all identical. He wants the ones Caden has but I am not going to let him have them because he is making a ruckus about it. I show him all the headphones and explain that we can share. I then hand him a pair and show him how to ask Little C to trade. Kai goes over to him and says, "Trade, please?" Little C trades. I then ask Kai what he says and he says, "Your welcome!" knowing full well I meant for him to say "thank you." I then asked him to tell Little C he was sorry which he did...and then proceeded to do it 3 more times and give him a piece of gum.
Crisis averted and Kai learned a different tool to use instead of getting possessive and upset.